What are the changes for 2019?
Starting January 1st 2019, the standard mileage rates (for use of a car, van, pickup or panel truck) are:
- 58 cents for business miles driven (up from 54.5 cents per mile in 2018)
- 20 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes (up from 18 cents per mile in 2017)
- 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations (no change from 2018)
Make note that under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), taxpayers cannot claim a miscellaneous itemized deduction for unreimbursed employee travel expenses. Also, taxpayers are unable to claim a deduction for moving expenses (unless the taxpayer is a member of the armed forces on active duty moving under orders to a permanent change of station).
How are the rates calculated?
There are various factors that influence the standard mileage rates, including:
- Gas and oil prices
- Insurance costs
- The state of the economy
- The expected cost of typical wear and tear on a vehicle
How can I reduce my fuel consumption?
Looking for ways to save money and reduce fuel consumption? There are a few things you can do to make the most out of a tank of gas:
- Make a concerted effort to maintain a constant speed, as speeding up and slowing down frequently can severely lower your gas mileage. Cruise control can help!
- Stop speeding. For every 5 miles you drive over 60 miles per hour, you are reducing your fuel economy by potentially 7%.
- Though tempting, letting your car warm up for 10 minutes during the heart of winter can cost you $0.04 per minute ($2.80 per week of wasted gas).
- Consider a tune up—it can increase your mileage by 4%.
- Consider cleaning your car and removing extra cargo from both the vehicle and the roof rack. Extra weight can reduce your fuel economy as well.
No, taxpayers always have the option to claim deductions based on the actual costs of using a vehicle, as an alternative to using the standard mileage rates.
Questions on the standard mileage rates for 2019? Contact Mike McVay, Tax Accountant 850-725-5696 - www.PensacolaFLTax.com - Mike@MikeMcVay.com
5336 N Blue Angel Pkwy Pensacola, FL 32526 - Pensacola Tax Service